Sunday, April 3, 2011

Naomi Aldort - Parenting and Social Behavior

I read "Raising our children raising ourselves" a few years ago and while I felt it was a really good book I don't think I got as much out of it as what I could.
Now I have two children and one oh so close to 5 I am beginning to see that this book might be more golden than first realized.
I have also read Jon Kabat-Zinn's "Where ever you go there you are" which has changed my views on reading (and life) so much that I find myself re-reading books and getting so much more out of them.

I really started looking at Attachment Parenting when my daughter was 1 and learnt that it is so important to treat children with respect but also give guidance. Show love and to listen and attend to their needs ...as they are children. I became more aware (and probably need to do more again) on how others affect my children's behavior. I am very aware that I have issues too (we all do) and need to work on them and be aware of myself too.
That is why I am enjoying my parenting books all again as the Sears, Pam Leo and even Jean Liedloff (may you rest in peace and thank you Jean) has lead me through their very helpful discovery's.

When I come to read our headlines I do see our problems not only in schools but parenting.

Misbehaviour by kids rated No 1 social issue todays news paper


I am also reading "The Well Adjusted Child" (only just started) and wow....this post will need to be added too and visited often I feel

2 comments:

  1. So true. Children really do highlight our own 'faults' and 'highlight' them hey! As parents we are forever trying (or at least loving, caring ones are trying x) to 'model' the right behaviour - but alas - we're not perfect and, as you rightly say, we all do have issues. I am definitely becoming a better person through being a parent - but I am far from perfect and have a long way to go... I just trust my children to love and forgive me and accept me (faults and all) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you aware that Aldort has disclaimed her Ph.D. http://clarificationstatement.blogspot.com/2011/07/clarification-statement.html

    There is a discussion regarding this action at the Amazon page for the book Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves: http://www.amazon.com/Ph-Disclaim-Author-Naomi-Aldort/forum/FxNX8DH5IVLF0Z/Tx1OCP9NN6QGOBJ/1/ref=cm_cd_ef_rt_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=1887542329

    ReplyDelete